Everything you need to know about steel
There are many reasons why I choose to work with steel. Let me share some awesome things that make it special:
- It looks like oxidized silver but is a fraction of the cost, and it’s even better because it stays dark longer, and is much less soft and malleable
- It’s literally tough as nails
- It’s lightweight
- It can easily be found second hand. I source as much as I can through building supply second hand shops, giving it a new, second life, and keeping it out of the landfill
- It’s nickel free, and great for sensitive skin
- It contrasts beautifully with gold
- It’s interesting and unique!
Although there are so many reasons to love steel, it does need a little tlc when used for jewelry. Steel has the nature to rust when exposed to water. I coat all steel pieces to seal and prevent this, but it's still a good idea to store in a dry place, and remove before showering, swimming, or going to hot springs. As long as you keep your steel adornments away from water, or dry thoroughly and immediately after exposed, your jewelry should last a lifetime or more.